Bregenz Magazin 4
Originally built in 1928 by Willibald Braun (1882-1969) as a warehouse for Pircher, the steel and coal merchant, Magazin 4 was used until the end of the 1980s as a iron warehouse. The building is noteworthy as the first poured concrete building in Vorarlberg and also as one of the few remaining industrial buildings in the centre of Bregenz A new covered ramp, which serves to evoke the building’s old loading ramp, supports universal access and provides a terrace for the cafe on the ground floor. The basement houses the City Archives, the first floor the Municipal Culture Office and the second floor holds exhibition galleries for the Art Society. The building was restored to its original condition and insensitive interventions were removed. All original features were coloured white. By minimising the interventions during renovation the building’s history remains visible, and any additions are conceived as free-standing furniture differentiated from the original features by their colour.
Team: Andreas Cukrowicz, Anton Nachbaur-Sturm, Christian Moosbrugger, Georg Bechter
Client: Stadt Bregenz
Photos: Hanspeter Schiess for cukrowicz nachbaur architekten